Mario Deco is a prominent online editor whose works are admired and recognized internationally. His professional career includes works such as “Sr”, a Netflix documentary produced by Robert Downey Jr; the television series “La Reina del Sur” and the telenovela “Pasión de Gavilanes”, among many others.
We talked with him about the past, present and future of his professional career, and this is what he told us:
-What was your inspiration or what caught your attention to dedicate yourself to your career?
– Realizing in my first practice that the last writing of the script was done in the editing and that the rhythm was essential to maintain the interest of the viewer.
What was your first job and how do you remember it?
– My first job as an editor was an internship in my hometown at the local chain where I had my first contact with the essential tool in my career, Avid. I remember that job with great affection and it was where I learned to relate to others at work.
-How do you define yourself professionally?
– Disciplined, self-demanding and committed to the end result I’m working on.
-What has been your greatest achievement?
– Getting to work in Hollywood on the North American East Coast, Atlanta.
-Which projects are a fundamental part of your resume?
– As an editor, the first series in which I went from digitizer to assistant, “There’s someone there”, and where I started friendships that have lasted since 2009. And the film “Casting”, in which I was able to put into practice the knowledge of narrative structure that I had learned working in series until then. As an online editor, “La Reina del Sur” was the project in which I have learned the most about a trade that I had previously carried out, learning it almost exclusively by myself.
-What recognitions have you obtained in your career?
– The prize that was won ex aequo by the cast of “Casting”, in which I felt a part, and the actress of the short film “Llama ya”, both by the same director, Jorge Naranjo.
-What is the most difficult part of your profession?
– Ensure that the confidence that one feels in one’s judgment is perceived by others.
-Projects that are in sight soon?
– I am waiting for the next season of “El Señor de los Cielos” and to become part of the regular team of La Corte Editores.